Monday, May 07, 2007

It has come to my attention, not for the first time in my life, that I am smirked at in certain quarters for my lack of refinement and subtlety, for my almost wilful crudeness, for what is not only my failure but in fact pig-headed refusal to appreciate the finer things in life. Well now this makes me rather indignant I have to say. After all, have I not publicly sung the praises of such craftsmen as Thin White Rope and the Young Gods on this very site? Of course, these are bands who are not averse to the use of brute force within their masterful seduction of the listener, but to suggest that this is all they have in their artillery itself betrays pitiful crudeness of interpretation.

Nevertheless, I have no qualms about stating that I have been dealt the blow, or alternatively blessed with the gifts, of an angry nature and short attention span. I have no intention of hiding my penchant for the concise, rapier-like (and often withering) précis under a bushel. Needless fannying about tends to make my lip curl. And on the subject of the Young Gods, whilst searing rock n roll classics such as “The Night Dances”, or the more recent “Freeze” frequently inspire me to shake my physically concise and hirsute form with spastic abandon, during longer and more ponderous Doors rip-offs like “Summer Eyes”, I’m more likely to end up drumming my fingers.

You want iconoclasm? You got it. The VU’s “Heroin”? The Smiths’ “The Queen Is Dead”? Mozart’s Requiem? Too long, not enough shouting. Impostume, don’t try my patience.

Actually, now I think about it, "Small Man, Big Mouth" might have been a better choice of Minor Threat track. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home